MORE THAN A COACH
Working as a full time Community Sports coach during the last 10 years, Adam has worked in a multitude of sports, with and without disabilities and a variety of ages which gives him a wealth and range of experience, knowledge and perspective to ensure you receive the best experience possible.
Having begun his coaching journey at the age of 15 he spent many years achieving industry leading qualifications and gaining experience out in the field (sometimes literally!). Mentored by Dr Andy Kirkland, a leading sports scientist in coach education research and Marshall Thomas, who first spotted Victoria Pendleton’s talent when she was 16 helped him develop his coaching philosophy and to remain inquisitive and innovative in his approach to coaching athletes at all levels. He is also a National Standard Cycling Instructor (NSIQ) who is an ambassador for safer cycling on the Isle Of Man.
He regularly offers his services to benefit charities such as Autism Initiative, Age Concern and has raised money to support the Women’s Island Games Team who reached team success with a Gold medal! He is devoted to developing the future of mountain biking participation and performance and has volunteered for both the Manx Mountain Bike Club and Isle Of Man Cycling Association as Youth Development Officer in recent years.
Adam is enthusiastic about ensuring that the next generation of Manx athletes have the opportunity to chase their own sporting dreams. As a facilitator in the Isle Of Man Sports Academy, one of the UK’s leading sports academies which nurtures talented athletes aged 13-18, at present he is the only cycling coach who attends to offer support, advice and assistance.
Adam was the designer and consultant to DEFA and the Manx Mountain Bike Club who created the Isle Of Man’s only mountain bike skills park in order to provide a facility for all riders to have easy access to develop their skills and have fun! He also remains an advocate of supporting the maintenance and development of the Isle Of Man’s trail network.
“Remember we are not just a rider..
We don’t make anyone do anything. We just offer the opportunity.”
A list of attainments that help us deliver the highest quality service and ensure that what we do goes above and beyond the industry standards:
- British Cycling Level 3 MTB Coaching Award
- British Cycling Level 2 BMX Coaching Award
British Cycling Level 2 Road & Time Trial Coach
- British Cycling Level 2 MTB Leader
- British Cycling Level 2 Cycling Coach
- Training Peaks Level 2 Certified Coach
- Over 10 years experience coaching cycling.
- Up to date Outdoor First Aid qualification
- Full British Cycling public liability insurance
- Current CRB (Police) check
Other relevant courses we’ve attended and qualifications include:
- KELLY HOLMES EDUCATION Double Gold Coaching Programme
- F.A. Module 1: Developing the Environment
- F.A. Module 2: Developing the Practice
- Sports Coach UK Long Term Athlete Development
- Sports Coach UK Inclusive Coaching: Disability
- Sports Coach UK Safeguarding & Child Protection 1&2
- Sports Coach UK Equity In Your Coaching
- Sports Coach UK Intro to FUNdamentals of movement
At Pedal To Progression we’re all about moving forwards and seeking out new challenges. The riders we’ve coached agree. Have a look at some of the achievements they’ve made!
- 2019 Male & Female Solo Winners of the Longest Day, Longest Ride 24 hour mountain bike race.
- 2017 Women’s Veteran British National Cross Country Marathon Champion
- 2017 Island Games Individual Gold and Silver medal winner and double Gold medal Men’s team winner, Double Bronze medal Women’s team winner, Gotland.
- Overall winner of the 2017 End to End Mountain Bike Challenge, Isle Of Man.
- 2017 Male Isle Of Man National Road Race Champion
- 2017 3rd Place overall in the LDLR and the highest placed single speed rider in 2016 and 2017.
- 4th Place 40+ Male at 2014 World Endurance Mountain Bike Organisation Championships, Fort William, Scotland.
- Top 5 finish in Elite category of British National XC Series
- Top 20 male and top 30 female in age category at 2015 BMX World Championships Zolder, Belgium.
- A podium position in the British Cycling 2018 National BMX Series.
- 1st Place in category at 2015 Irish BMX National Round
- Top 15 Solo Male at 2013 10 Under The Ben in Fort William, Scotland.
- Top 20 finish in the Expert category of the British Downhill National Series
- Completed the 2018 Swiss Epic Mountain Bike Stage Race
We also enjoy riding just as much as we enjoy sharing our passion and along the way we’ve managed to reach a few goals of our own!
- The first coach from the Isle Of Man to gain the British Cycling Level 3 MTB coaching award, which is the highest grade.
- We’re also the first to achieve the British Cycling Level 2 coaching award in both MTB and BMX disciplines and a Level 2 MTB Leader.
- Isle Of Man Downhill Series Champion in 2012
- Isle Of Man National Junior MTB Cross Country Champion in 2005
- 3 times runner up at BMX IOM National Championships in 2014, 2015 and 2018
- Manx MTB Enduro Round 2 Senior Category Winner and best result of top 5 overall.
- 12th Overall in 2017 Manx MTB Enduro 2 Day Enduro
- Best finish of 20th position at Round 6 of 2015 British National Downhill Series.